Posted by: Shawn | 2009-03-24

Xanor SR 0.5mg

Hi Doc,

My GP has put me on this medication called Xanor SR. You might be familar with it. I just want to know if it is ok to consume alcohol while on it. And what are the effects of taking anti-depressants and consuming alcohol coz I drank last night, took the drug this morning, but cant feel the effects of it. It' s like they cancelled each other out.

Could ou please advise ?

Its actually rarely a good idea to mix alcohol with ANY meds. Firstly, Xanor SR is a long-acting, Slow Release ( hence SR ? ) version of an over-used benzodiazepine, a sedative tranquilizer ( like Valium ) ; combined with aolcohol, you would be likely to be more drink that you'd expect for the amount you drink. And that wouldn't be helpful.
Combining alcohol with antidepressants is worse, apart from ALSO making you more drunk than you intend, it can indeed cancel out the antidepressant benefits, which is a pointless thing to do. Now, when you take antidepressants regularly ( the only useful way to take them ) you may not feel any particular obvious benefits, because they work more subtly, and one night's drinking probably won't undo all the work its been doing so far, so stay on the meds and off the booze, and you should be feeling better before long