Question
Posted by: Cutey | 2011-02-23

Xanor

Dear Dr
Please can you comment on the negative side effects of this medication?
I have had many people advising me to get off tXanor for many scary reasons.

I think Xanor is over-prescribed, and too often prescribed for the wrong reasons. Like all the family of benzo's it can cause dependency problems, especially if used for longer than a month or two. It is sedative, as hey all are, and indeed disinhibition is a potential side-effects of this family of drugs - something like the effect of alcohol.
If one has been on it for some time, getting off it may not be easy, and should be done with advice and supervision from a specialist psychiatrist.
For significant anxiety disorders, drugs also used to treat depression can be more useful, as can CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ).

2
Posted by: Cutey | 2011-02-23

Sorry Dr, I meant to ask, the negative side affects specifically related to Disinhibition.

Reply to Cutey