Posted by: Michelle | 2010-03-23

X rotweiler / labrador

My dog is 3 and is already displaying signs of weakness in his hind legs.
He is a large,heavy dog and was very active as a pup - he has now slowed down somewhat.
I am concerned as we previously put down our German shepard because of hip displasure ( although he was 15 ).
Are there any supplements or medication which we can introduce to him which will strengthen his bones/joints.

Dear Michelle

You need aproper diagnoses before putting him on supplements.

Posted by: Chill | 2010-03-24

Yes definitely, talk to your vet, and give him a supplement with glucosamine and chondroitin - human ones are fine but you get a horse one - in fact, you can get two, called flex-c-joint and flex-o-joint, which work out much cheaper. Google them, they will mail the stuff to you if there isn''t a vendor near you.

Anti-inflammatories also have a place in the management of hip dysplasia, those you have to get from your vet.

There are various surgical options available - cost a lot, unfortunately - but if this is an option for you, request a referral to a specialist veterinary surgeon, and get advice there.

The overweight thing already mentioned is completely crucial, as is a fitness regime, but you have to give the dog the right type of exercise - again, your vet will advise.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Susan | 2010-03-24

There is definitely supplements you can give the dog, go pop in at your vetshop, I''m sure they will be able to assist you!

Reply to Susan
Posted by: joe | 2010-03-24

Take dog to Vet for good check-up, and get all the advice you need. Also very important - even a large dog must NOT be over weight - makes the problem worse - so need a good balanced diet.

Reply to joe