Posted by: aNoNyMoUs | 2009-07-07

Hey im really at my limit with severe social and general anxiety depression and an eating disorder, been told I need treatment pronto and have put it off for a good 6months now but always have a reason not to go.
Now I cant go because my sisters best friends hens party is next week and her wedding is the week after and my only and close firiends 21st is in August, mine is in september and I am opting out of my studies.Im dropping EVERYTHING I dont know what to do I am so tired of trying and thinking and just being here.What do I do?..

You recognize that you need and deserve therap, and that you have been making excuses not to start --- so go ahead and start. A sister's friend's hen party or wedding are no excuse at all. Your health is FAR more important than any of those occasions, and you can make a start by seeing the right sort of psychiatrist for a full assessment and a plan of treatment --- important occasions like your sister's wedding can be worked into the plan . ( though not a sister's friend's gardener's sister-in-law ! ). A short admission may not prove essential, but even if it did, it need not take long, and again, you can plan round it. You seem to be working yourself up into feeling more and more bothered, and once you start treatment you will find much of the worry was unnecessary, and relief is at hand.

Posted by: Liza | 2009-07-07

You' re playing with the fire that is your health putting the best friend of your sister in front of your own health. Seems like you' re putting almost everything in a higher priority than your health. Please don' t do this!

Find help ASAP!! Make an appointment with a psychiatrist TODAY! Call the Anxiety and Depression group helpline immediately and find out where you can get a good psychiatrist in your area. Get a couple of numbers for psychiatrists if possible and find out where you can get an emergency appointment fastest. Do not put this off any longer! Even if the psychiatrist decides to stabilise you in a clinic or hospital first, it will only last about 3 weeks until you will feel much better and be able to cope with things again. You' ll even make it in time for your friends'  21st. And be in a better situation to enjoy it and then your own birthday in September.

BTW. If you cannot afford private, go to your nearest clinic and see a sister in the mental healthcare clinic. The sister can refer you to the nearest public hospital with psychiatric facilities if you' re feeling suicidal. They will admit you for at least a 72 hour assessment. Unfortunately public facilities require that you are admitted either involuntarily, or as an assisted admission where in both cases your mother/father/family member or healthcare professional like the sister at the clinic have to sign for your admission. You also will not be able to discharge yourself. So you' ll be there for a while (at least the 72 hour assessment period) - trying to survive the public healthcare system. I found the care at Tshwane District Hospital to be quite good last year. They helped me a lot. Even if I was locked up in the ward unless my psychologist took me out for a breath of air. They even allowed me to smoke in my room  )

Good Luck - hope this helps

Reply to Liza