Question
Posted by: Maryka | 2008/06/02

Writing Styles

I'm not an expert on writing, but wonder if our children will learn to write in an abbreviated (sms) style? I find it irritating to say the least. One never receive proper letters anymore (gramatical). Even on a forum to an expert.... Do people speak that way to their docters?
Do you find it irritating?

I think really that I agree with you, and thatpeople need to recognize thatwhile its fine to use whatever mode of expression they choose between friends, this should never be universally applied. They should know that they will fail exams if they insist on expressing themselves illiterately, and that only a trultydaft employer would ever hire anyone who writes in that manner. As Zola mentions, there's the delusion that this is "cool", which is not ever a universal definition, and merely a temporary fad. Similarly, one may choose to have major tattooes and metallic chunks inserted around one's body --- that may be one's right, but one does not have the right to expect employers to ignore this when hiring. I['d prefer a receptionist or secretary who can get through a metal detector without setting it off.

3
Posted by: LOL | 2008/06/03

abbreviating in casual correspondence, is just so much easier and less time consuming? most people i come across understand it perfectly. yes there is a time and a place for everything. atleast some people do not have to be concerned about their grammatical errors while using the abbreviated style. which is favoured by both young and old

Reply to LOL
Posted by: Zola | 2008/06/03

I find it very irritating. It takes very long to read because you have to figure out what the consonants without vowels are supposed to make up. I don't find it cool at all.

Reply to Zola
Posted by: visitor | 2008/06/03

I agree with you - I work in HR and often have to advertise vacancies. I get emails saying " I am interested in da job"
Needless to say I dont contact them. If you dont even have the decency to write a proper letter when applying for a job then you dont deserve one!!!

Reply to visitor