Question
Posted by: Andrea | 2010-03-15

Wrists hurt

Dear Doc. For the past 2 years (roughly) I am struggling with pain in my wrists, especially my (dominant) right hand. I can''t bend my wrist forward and it hurts especially if I apply (normal) pressure on it. I also can''t lean back on my wrist without having pain. I can''t play tennis anymore as the impact on the racquet causes discomfort and I struggle doing exercises which include using my wrists (weight training . push-ups etc). Do I have something missing in my diet or is it due to the fact that I have broken my scaphoid bone about 1.5 year ago? It is becoming worse as time progresses. I''m worried that maybe its early arthritis or low density problems or can it even be contributed to my job as legal secretary/candidate attorney - i''m working in front of PC a lot? thank you.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Andrea,

a fracture of the scaphoid is a common cause of wrist pain - there is a condition of Avascular necrosis of the scaphoid which can follow a fracture and will have to be excluded . You will have to have an X-ray taken of your wrist and then see a hand specialist to evaluate it

Dr de Beer

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010-03-18

Dear Andrea,

Dr de Beer

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum