Posted by: Wristy | 2009-01-05

Wrist Ganglion excision- alternatives?

I had 2 ganglions removed from my left wrist more than a year ago and I am still struggling use my left wrist in its full capacity when exercising. I' ve spent the last year doing pilates and had some sessions with the biokineticist to build up mobility &  strength.

I am having trouble finding alternative exercises for push-ups and the type of exercise (like going into a plank position) where you put weight on your hands/wrists. My biokineticist let me exercise on a specialist core pole with elasticised straps on it, but obviously I don' t have access to such speciailised equipment at home or at gym.
My ortopaedic surgeon said it was safe to exercise as long as I don' t put much weight on the wrist.

Could you please help with alternative exercises to do at home and at gym?

Hi Wristy

Difficult one - at a gym, you might be able to mimic the push-up on some of the machines, but regardless of how you do it, there's still going to be some weight on the writsts, so you need, in the long term, to continue developing the strength so that you can one day do normal activity. Might not be a bad idea to do a few exercises where there is some weight on the wrists, but not a lot, and develop their strength that way. The other option for the chest is pec flys, which don't involve weight-bearing on the wrists, so that might be a good idea to consider.