Question
Posted by: Chandler | 2011/12/12

wrinkles as early as your TEENS?!

Hi Anti-ageing Expert,

Is it possible that if you had pretty bad sunburn at an young age (in my case 10 years old) it can maybe lead to having wrinkles as early as your late teens?!

Long time ago I got pretty bad sunburn on my forehead when i went abroad to a very hot sunny country. I can easily get sun burnt as i have very fair &  sensitive skin.

Since i was 17, wrinkles started to appear on my forehead (both frown lines &  eye-brow line wrinkles) and over time they''ve just gotten deeper! i''m now 20.

I''m just wondering if even having bad sunburn once can really damage the tissue undeneath your skin and can cause wrinkles to appear very early on?

Hope you can answer my questions... thankyou!

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Chandler, thank you for the question.

Unfortunately even one severe sun exposure can lead to wrinkles forming earlier than normal (when compared to someone who has practiced sun avoidance) and even more so in individuals with fair skin. Typically skin types 1 and 2 are much more susceptible to sun damage compared to darker skins due to a lack of ‘natural’ protection (melanin) against harmful UV rays and one needs to remember that repeated small exposures to these UV rays throughout your life will add up. The most important advice is that you use a good SPF (50 or higher) that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and it should be applied several times daily especially in the spring and summer months.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011/12/16

Reply to anti-ageing expert