Question
Posted by: Tessa | 2008/06/18

Wrinkles

I am only 23 and i'm using Elizabeth Arden's skin care products(face wash, toner, moisterizer & Prevage). My skin feels lovely but i am very concerned about my skin in the future.
I am a smoker and i saw that many woman get deep wrinkles on their upper lip caused by the smoking! How can i prevent this for happening?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Tessa, thank you for the question and sorry for the delay with your answer.

“Smoker’s Lines” are wrinkles that develop on the upper lip area as a result of the pursing action of one’s lips (seen with kissing and pronouncing certain letters). Obviously this action is used a lot more with smokers and hence the name, however, we will all develop these wrinkles over time.

Your obvious choice to help limit these wrinkles from developing is to stop smoking which will have other health benefits as well. Other factors to consider are as follows:
Always use a SPF 30 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and avoid the sun as much as possible (wear a hat in summer).
Add to your topical regime alpha hydroxy acids and vitamin A or one of its derivatives such as Retinyl Acetate.
In the near future one may consider using low dose Botox in the upper lip area as this reduces the muscle action and helps to prevent and delay the onset of smoker’s lines.