Question
Posted by: Mrs Speedfreak | 2009-09-16

Wrinkes!

I have just turned 70, a momentous occasion, the same as one turns 50! I still feel young and healthy and cannot bear the wrinkles on my face. I don' t particularly want a facelift but wondered what you think of non invasive treatments at a beauty salon where one has to go for 15 sessions? There is also a cream out called Botoxyl which is supposed to reduce wrinkles up to 30% after oe week. Too good to be true? Does Botox work for these wrinkles on the face? I blanch at the thought of having needles in my face and I will come out looking like a witch with droopy eyelids or mouth. And how long doe Botox lasts and how much does it cost? Is there such a thing as a mini facial? Thank you.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Speed Freak, thank you for the question.

Congratulations on the 70th Birthday and more importantly that you still feel young!

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one would ideally like to examine the skin and underlying structures to determine the best non surgical treatment approach. We see a number of patients who prefer a non surgical approach and with today’s treatment choices and technological advances we can achieve amazing results in certain individuals. However, it also may be necessary to combine both surgical and non surgical treatments for the best results possible.

As a general rule I do not believe that any topical cream or beauty salon treatment/s will improve the appearance of one’s wrinkles. One would need to consider a combination approach using chemical peels, Botox, dermal fillers, and skin rejuvenation technologies with wrinkle removal, skin tightening and lifting (Matrix RF, Fraxel, UltraPulse FX, Sciton, etc.). All of these treatments should only be performed by a qualified medical doctor and only once it has been determined that an acceptable end result can be achieved.