Posted by: Jac | 2008-12-13

I wrote the message " Suicidal and hate my life" . I started a new thread as I am astounded that there are strangers out there who care! Thank you. And thank you, Cybershrink!

Just after I wrote the message here, I emailed LifeLine - the counselling manager emailed back and again I' m amazed that strangers care so much. I' m going to phone on Monday and make an appointment for counselling (which is free).

Just a note on why I resigned - I believe my ' manager'  was ' out to get me' . I heard through the grapevine that he hated me from the previous time I was at the company (as a manager) and wanted his own back. A disciplinary hearing was set up and I was told I could bring a fellow employee in to assist me. The two ladies that were going to attend with me pulled out the day before as they' d both been warned by another manager not to get involved. I' m sure on that alone there were grounds for a CCMA case, but I didn' t want the added stress of that. And it' s obvious in hindsight that the branch manager would' ve supported my ' manager'  as he was promoted just after I left. The kak thing is that when I worked for this company before, they VALUED the work I did and were upset to see me go. The have a ' no rehire'  policy, but grabbed me back a year later when I was looking for a job. Things were going very well in the job till about April when this little sh**head was installed as my ' manager' . Anyway, enough about that!

I have asked my family for help. My father would gladly assist but he is 82 and relies on my sister for financial assistance. My sister is helping by paying my car installments for 5 months. My brothers don' t get involved. I emailed one of my brothers in Oz, not asking for money but to tell him how depressed I am and, as expected, got no response. One of my other brothers is a holy-roly minister or preacher thing for some whacky christian religion and his belief is that until I believe what he believes (his words: " believe the truth" ) I deserve hell.

Another depressing thing is that my mother has Alzheimer' s. She is so far gone now that she just sits in a chair and stares into space all day long. She was always such a dynamic woman and now she' s an empty shell. My father STILL loves her to pieces! He' s amazing! He was a wealthy, respected business man in his prime, but he made some business errors when he was around retirment age and lost everything. And my sister treats him like he did it on purpose. She' s kind enough to support him, but she certainly doesn' t do it out of love - she complains constantly and I think she' d love it if they both died. Today, my dad told me that he bought my 4 brothers and my sister homes when they got married (I didn' t know that). I didn' t get a home bought for me coz I chose not to get married. I merely lived with my son' s dad till we separated (we were together about 10 years, known him for almost 20!)

Anyway, I' m rambling.

I really wanted to say to all who replied...
It really restores my faith in humanity to see that strangers care.

Do you think it would be a good idea to do charity work? And if so, where do I go to volunteer?

Hi Jac ( though that comment sounds illegal !)
Pleased to hear we were of help. Sad about the Holier than God brother --- some religiose folks are so monumentally callous and uncaring. They deserve each other. Sorry to hear about your mom --- I looked after my own mom for years with an increasing vascular dementia, and know what it can be like.
Amd by all means, demonstrate that you are also one of the caring people ( also by caring for yourself ). As to where to volunteer, that depends on the sort of charity you'd be good at --- child, animal, old folks, whatever. Think about it, and check what groups do that sort of work in your area