Question
Posted by: lizzy | 2008/09/30

Would Medication help

Hi, I have been suffering with bouts of depression throughout my life. Last year my husband and I seperated and my GP perscribed Wellbutrin for me as I was having thoughts of suicide and all I was doing was going to work and coming home &  sleeping. We then got back together early this year and things were going well for a few months but we have now decided to get divorced as he is struggling with some personal things - we are still good friends. I am now back to where I was in terms of feeling completely broken and hurting terribly, which I suppose is normal but I again feel as though I don' t want to go on and keep wanting to tear up and nothing seems to relieve these feelings. I also experience mild - extreme anxiety constantly and my mood changes very quickly. I am nauseous all the time and my stomach is very upset too. (This gets especially bad when he is not home or plans to go out with friends) Is there any medication that might help relieve some of these symptoms and might help get me through this difficult time?

Depresion, when properly diagnosed, includes chemical changes in the brain which can be distinctly helped by medications ; but where there are also real-life problems, of course a medication doesn't sort them out, although it may enable you to do so more effectively. Thart's why I like to see counselling, especially of the CBT format, included in the treatment of Depression, for over-all better results.
I hope, too, your husband isn't "struggling with personal things" alone, rather than with expert counselling help.
SO, do see a good local psychiatrist for a comprehensive assessment, and discuss treatment options which ought to include counselling / psychtherapy as well as medication