Question
Posted by: Traditional | 2011/07/21

Would like to know

Hello Dr,

Does Umqombothi(Traditional African beer) have any health benefits, because old people tell us that it decreases blood pressure?

Thanks.

Dear Traditional
I presume you are referring to sorghum beer? Interestingly enough, I did a study on the nutritive properties of sorghum beer a number of years ago and found that if the beer is brewed according to traditional recipes from sorghum grain, sorghum malt and yeast, the beer does have a high nutritive content and a low alcohol content of about 3% or lower. Sorghum beer as brewed traditionally, is rich in B vitamins, antioxidants, iron and other minerals which are obtained from the whole sorghum grains. I did not research the effects of the beer on high blood pressure, but according to the DASH Diet, which was developed in the USA to treat high bp, foods that are rich in minerals like potassium, calcium and magnesium, and low in fat and sodium, can help to lower bp. So it is possible that the high nutritive value of sorghum beer and its low alcohol content would be less harmful to blood pressure than other alcoholic drinks.
Enjoy

1

Dear Traditional
Enjoy