Question
Posted by: Curious | 2008/08/05

Would like to concieve a boy

We already have a daughter and have decided to have another child but would really like to have a boy. Is there anyway to make that possible or is it just chance. I found a calender on babymania.co.za that shows you according to your menstrual cycle on which days you are most likely to have either boy or girl. Is this accurate or not?

Dear Curious

The only accurate method of sex selection is via IVF and PGD (Pre-genetic diagnosis). This involves a program in which embryos are produced and these embryos are individually tested for their genetic sex before replacing into the uterus. The process is extremely expensive and due to ethical reasons most fertility centres worldwide do not subscribe to this process purely for sex selection. All other methods such as sperm separation and timing etc are simply chance procedures.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim