Posted by: angie | 2009-03-18

worthless &  Unemployed

I was retrenched last year october. i' ve send cv for so many jobs, but nothing! every day that goes by i feel more and more useless. i hate myself for not being able to get a job. i am 25 years old and have never felt so worthless in my life. i feel that i should just die, because i am nothing more that an oxygen thief. i am not making ANY contribution to society, the economic or the world... I mean absolutely NOTHING to nobody. PLEASE hear me, I am not looking for sympathy or anybodies nasty comments - believe me i know how pathetic it sounds! and there are loads of people with way more " real"  problems than mine. I was just hoping maybe somebody could give me advise about what to do with these feelings. i really feel at my end here...

I know, angie, this must be terribly discouraging. But it's not you that is useless --- its the financiers and bank managers around the world who were useless and greedy and ruined the entire world economy, letting us sufer while they took bonuses. YOU are not worthless --- they are ; and because of them, there are far less jobs available than usual, and it is harder for even excellent people like you, to find work. You are not pathetic and not useless. See a counsellor if you can ( maybe someone attached to your chuch ? )
And meanwhile, continue working hard towards finding a job, and why not use some of that extra time that now hangs heavy on your hands, to volunteer and work with charities and NGO's, doing worthwhile work, and meeting nice people. IT'd also give you something pleasant to add to your CV as you continue to send it out.

Posted by: Angie | 2009-03-19

Hi All
Thanks so much for all the beautiful messages &  advice. I appreciate it.
jason, to answer some of your Q.
use to be marketing assistant (loved it!). did part-time course in graphic design, finished last year. Am trying to start own business doing some flyers here, ads there etc through contacts. don' t have money to advertise, yet. but i guess i' ll get there... or somewhere... eventually.

There' s alot of Christians on this site? It' s pretty amazing?!? Thank you all!!!

Thanks Cybershrink for your time.

Reply to Angie
Posted by: ijk | 2009-03-19

dont loose hope girl...hang in there. it may seem easier said than done. But hang in there. the economy will turn around soon and more jobs will be created. and remember God is there and cares about you a lot. pray for strength and wisdom.

Reply to ijk
Posted by: XXX | 2009-03-19

You are not to blame for the state of the global economy and many millions of good people are out of work.I know that does not make it easier for you but you are not alone.Keep trying to get work and try and stay positive.
In the meanwhile try and get closer to family and friends and maybe participate in sport.
The wheel will turn,good luck

Reply to XXX
Posted by: zee | 2009-03-19

Email me zee.help4you at gmail dot com

Reply to zee
Posted by: potbelliedpiggie | 2009-03-19

i was out of work for years and felt that id never really join the working community... now i have a good job in a good company ...things will turn around just dont give up and keep looking :-)

and pray

Reply to potbelliedpiggie
Posted by: Jason | 2009-03-18

Hey Angie!

I firmly believe things happen in life to push us in another direction.

What were you doing before you were retrenched? Are you married? Who' s suppporting you at the moment?

What strengths do you have? Hobbies? Ever thought of doing something completely different to your last job?

What about starting your own business?

There are ALOT of options open at the moment. Maybe you need to approach job-hunyinh from a different angle. What are managers lookking for at the moment? People who can come up with ideas on how to save the Co. money and generate new income.

It can' t be difficult, can it?

Good luck!

Reply to Jason
Posted by: just me | 2009-03-18

You need to pray that will help i know it is difficult but i promise you God will hear your prayers and he will answer have faith and be patient.

Reply to just me