Question
Posted by: Liezel | 2012/09/26

Worshond probleme!!

Uiteindelik! ''n plek waar ek kan kla oor my worshond! Ek het 2 wyfies, hulle is sussies. Hulle is amper 13 jaar oud en nog baie gesond en lewenslustig. Ons het 8 maande gelede na ''n plaas getrek. Sy het so maand gelede begin om ons kombuis drom om te keer op ''n daaglikse basis, asook elke ander drommetjie in die huis. My man werk voltyds en ek voltyds 2 dae ''n week, die ander dae toto 12 uur, maar dan ry ek eers draaie. Daar is genoeg entertainment vir hulle met al die trekkers ens, en hulle het ''n lekker bedjie in my kamer. Hulle het ''n lekker grasperkie voor die huis maar dit is toe met omheining. Dit is net die een worshond wat dit doen, ek neem aan sy is verveeld. Sy is ''n vreeslike avontuurlusite hondjie vir haar jare en grawe graag oral opsoek na molle ens. As ek by die huis kom, maak ek agter oop sodat hulle die hele plaas vol kan hardloop. Ek verstaan nie dat sy elke liewe dag ons huisdrom omkeer en alles skeur en kou nie. My man gee haar vreeslik erg pak dat sy oral plasse maak, maar hoekom help dit nie? More doen sy dit weer, kry weer pak en doen dit weer. My man het haar al in die drom gesit en rondgeskud, maar dit help ook nie. Die badkamer drommetjie se ou bloederige tampons moet ek voor op die grasperk optel. Ons is raadop, sy doen dit steeds elke liewe dag, of as ons selfs 10 minute in die aand weg is. Kom ons terug moet ons rommel oral optel en alles is besmeer met vullis. Ons tel nou maar die drom op waar sy dit nie kan bykom nie, maar as ek vergeet, dan kry ek hierdie gemors!!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Liezel, please accept my deepest apologies, my Afrikaans language skills are really not good. I came to SA during later teen years and did not have to do it in school due to this am self taught and although i can translate a few sentances, am totally befuddled here. Please, can you post in English. Would love to help and again sorry about this!

4
Posted by: sol rademeyer | 2015/10/14

I Never had a dog like this. My previous dog was bitten dead in my yard by other dogs ( people that do not look after their pets) She is just loving the family but no stranger will come near us. She like digging but I create a place in my yard where she can dig. I only have the problem - no birds allowed, She is very healthy, but I heard that they develop back problems. If she can play soccer for Bafana with her ball she will score the most tries. I spoil her because she always give love back, SPCA DOG

Reply to sol rademeyer
Posted by: scotty | 2012/10/01

Oh shame, you are having a hard time! Again, sorry about my lack of skills in the language department!
Ok, what I believe is happening, is that apart from the behaviour of knocking the dustbin over being rewarding as she gets to go through it, attention to a dog is attention, whether negative or positive. so the shouting etc will act as a way of getting additional attention from both of you. by the way, unless a dog is caught ''in the act'' and the reprimand is of the correct intensity all that smacking her will do is destroy the relationship! dogs live very much ''in the moment'' and if the dog is called and then smacked or shouted at - the dog associates the coming to you/hubby as the behaviour that caused the punishment.
It sounds as if, even with all the open space that the dogs are bored. A dog has a sense of smell over 45 times stronger than ours, which relates to over 2 million scent receptors (stronger in some dogs such as yours where they are bred for scenting purposes). what I would suggest you do is to try and take the dogs out for a daily walk - even if only 10 minutes. supply them with a digging pit (have put link to an article on how to do this below), supply varied chew toys etc.
Also use management - invest in a dustbin that is not easy to open (has latches on the side) and also put on some pure Citronella oil on the lid, around the rim, on the outside and even inside. the majority of dogs totally hate this smell. Consider having two dustbins - one, the larger such as above, and a smaller one for food scraps that could fit inside a cupboard.
I cant insert the link on the public forum, so please contact me via my email scotty@scottysdogs.co.za and will send to you.
Good luck and dont hesitate to get in touch again if you are still battling, thanks Scotty

Reply to scotty
Posted by: Liezel | 2012/09/27

I got so excited when I saw a reply only to translate it! (haha).

This is what I said: At last! A place where I can moan about my problems with my 2 daschunds! They are 2 females, sisters. They are almost 13 yrs old and still very active and love the outdoors. The one is a real “ lap sitter”  and the other one just want to find moles and stuff under the ground. We moved to a Farm about 8 mths ago. The active one, Lexi, started to tip over our kitchen dustbin (which is high) about a month ago on a daily basis. My husband works fulltime, I work until 12h00 every day, except 2 days a week where I work full day. I don’ t go home straight after work, I always have things to do, but they have more than enough entertainment there with all the tractors and lorries driving around. They have a nice piece of lawn in the front to sniff around and they can come and go in the house as they please, they have a nice bed in my bedroom. When I come home, I open the back door so they can run around there, which is a huge place, with 8 chickens. I don’ t understand that she knocks over the dustbin even if we leave for 10 minutes, and not just that, every other little dustbin in the house. She would tear every paper, and eat up tisses that we blowed our noses with and nappy of my child into pieces, groce tampons will lie everywhere and I have to clean the floor all the time. I do put the bin on the shelf to prevent this from happening, but in the hazzle and dazzle in the mornings I sometimes forget. My husband would give her the hiding of her life every time, and she would wet everywhere or hide when we come home. He even put her inside the dustbin once and knocked it around to frighten her, but nothing helps.

They get more than enough food! Since they were little their bowls always have pellets in it, I don’ t give them pellets certain times. I usually buy a big bag (5 –  8kg) of pellets from the VET, and I buy something else every time. I use, Eukenuba, Sience Diet, Vets Choice, Royal Canine for Daschunds etc. And they get our leftovers all the time. Very spoilt and in tip condition.

Ok, they don’ t have toys. They don’ t have stuff to chew on. This must be it?? They had toys and stuff when they were little, now with my young kids, my kids will only pick it up and carry it around. Maybe I should just get chewy stuff in leave it in their bed? But Lexi, she will bury anything that she can’ t finish and then sit around to think what else she can do. She is definitely not a toy “ person”  either.

I will go to the petshop anyway this afternoon to get some chewy stuff. Cant wait for your response!!

Reply to Liezel
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/09/27

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert