Posted by: NADS | 2009-03-17

Worried - Trying to fall pregnant

I' m a bit concerend as we are trying to fall pregnant again after I had a miscarriage end November last year and had a evacuation. I did have a check up with my Gynae mid December and all was fine again and she told us that we are very likely to fall pregnant again in the first 2 months after our miscarriage (lost baby at 6 1/2 weeks). But 3 months have past and no luck, it' s not that we go on like humping bunnies or so. But we had intercourse almost every day during time of ovulation etc... I' ve lately just have this odd feeling that something is not right and that I might struggle to fall pregnant. Any advise will be appreciated. Is there also perhaps any medication that can be used to improve fertility. I do take Folic Acid each day and my normal multi vitamins. Please help.

By definition there is no fertility problem as yet and sometimes takes up to 9 months of regular intercourse to conceive. However to enhance your success you may consider ovulation monitoring and timed intercourse is a better option. The ovulation monitoring can be done using the urine LH detection kits, which are far more accurate than the cervical mucus tests or salivary tests or the temperature-monitoring chart.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Posted by: Bonny | 2009-03-22

Hi Dea &  Nads
I have been trying to fall pregnant for over a year - I tried Pregassist for Women and well, still no luck... although I don' t know how many months you have to use it before you are successful.
I am now looking into fertility drugs and ovulation inducing drugs.. as I am now also desperate to get pregnant. Will let you know what I find out.
Good luck and I hope u are successful soon!

Reply to Bonny
Posted by: NADS | 2009-03-18

Thank you Sheah! And congrats on your pregnancy!!!

Reply to NADS
Posted by: Sheah | 2009-03-18

Hi Nads
dont worry it will happen, i miscarried in October at over 4mths and I am pregnant again, i had no period in December it had to be induced, then i got my normal period in Jan and Feb and here I am 8weeks pregnant today. will keep you in my prayers.

Reply to Sheah
Posted by: NADS | 2009-03-18

Thank you Dea, I really appreciate your input. Good luck to you aswell!!!

Reply to NADS
Posted by: Dea | 2009-03-18

Also there is a fertility aid called PREGASSIST FOR WOMEN, which you also get for men to improve their sperm count and motility. These are quite costly though, they cost R360 each.

Reply to Dea
Posted by: Dea | 2009-03-18

Hi, I have PCOS and as a result don' t always ovulate, which we all know is the key to falling pregnant...I went to my doctor and he prescribed CLOMID or FERTOMID (which is the same drug). This will help induce ovulation. Keep track whether you are ovulating on this drug by using ovulation predictor kits which will tell you, if positive, that ovulation should occur within the next 12-36 hours. For more accurate results, if on Clomid or Fertomid, go for pelvic scans so your doctor can check whether the drug is working and he will also be able to predict when ovulation should occur.
Note however, that these drugs do have a chance (although remote) of producing multiple eggs = twins &  triplets etc. But all the info you will need is in the leaflet. Good luck!

Reply to Dea