Question
Posted by: Nadia | 2010-12-13

Worried - Pregnant &  Contact with Measles/German Measles

I need advise / help.

Me and my husband are currently trying to fall pregnant and I am late with my period &  might be pregnant. I am worried because I have a charity outreach at a Government Hospital on Thursday and could be in contact with children that have measles / German measles. I did do a pregnancy test this morning, and it did indicate negative, but is still worried. Should I rather not go - I dont want to take unnecessary changes or would it be save?

Please help!

Thank you.

xnadia

Measles would not be a problem if you were pregnant but german measles could be, unless you have had it in the past or have been vaccinated. If not, rather avoid contact. You could repeat the test now. It should be positive if you are pregnant.

3
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-12-15

Posted by: me | 2010-12-13

Maybe go for a blood test just before to know for sure. Also find out if you have imunity against german measles.

Reply to me
Posted by: Purple | 2010-12-13

Have you had your german measles immunity tested? This is usually done by your gynae well before you decide to start trying for a baby.

Were you vaccinated with the MMR as a baby?, this might also give you some protection.

If you have already missed your period and the test shows negative, then it is unlikely that you are pregnant, but remember that even a very faint line is still a positive.

Children with german measles aren''t likely to be in hospital for it, it is a very mild childhood illness. Children get very bad headaches and a rash that lasts about 4 or 5 days. Its viral so they don''t get antibiotics for it, they just take panado or soemthing for the headache and drink lots of fluids and if their mothers can get them to sleep they try to do so.

The MMR isn''t given on the governement schedule, people need to pay for it and have it done privately.

Why don''t you just tell the hosptial that you suspect that you are pregnant, they can then just keep you away from children with measles too. Although measles can be fatal (it isn''t always), most children are not hospitalised with measles. Its a respiritory illness and they have a rash, and they are kept in a darkened room as it can cause permanent damage to their eyes.
However, measles vaccinations are given as part of the governement vaccinations so in theory, most children should not actually get measles or if they do, should only get it quite mildly.

I don''t know what affect measles has on a developing baby, but if you get german measles in the first trimester it is very dangerous for your baby.

Reply to Purple