Question
Posted by: Anna | 2011/08/04

Worried mom

My son has just turned 4 and he is not picking up weight,snores and breathes through the mouth,his bones are visible(looks malnourished) ,he seldom finishes his food. The paeditrician advised a better diet. Should I see a dietician even though I feel there''s something he''s not picking up?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Anna

Snoring and mouth breathing may be a sign of enlarged adenoids, or even tonsils. This is common in children, but if it carries on for longer than six months, it is abnormal. Removal of the tonsils, and/or adenoids may be required.
You need an ENT opinion regarding this. I suggest you get an opinion. You could ask your Peadiatrician to refer, or the GP.