Question
Posted by: Mom | 2008/10/13

Worried mom

I have a 12yr old son, his teachers have complained that he is slow and need to attend a remedial school.His been in this school for the past 4yrs and refuse' s to leave.I have taken him to the Teddy Bear clinic to see on of their psycologists and she found nothing wrong with him, she asked him to write something for her and he refused, I left him with her for an hour on returning she said he was a bright lad and she thinks his lazy.
He then promised he' ll do better this term, first day back at school he was given homework, Maths, never did them. I got a phone call from the teacher to complain about him.
Next day he had homework, maths, said he couldn' t understand them, my son-inlaw sat him down and went over it with him, after two questions he knew them all and gave the answers, BUT the problem came when he had to put pen to paper, he hailed like a babe,then his pencil was not sharp enough found all the excuse' s under the sun, finally it was his teachers Jewish xmas the next day so he' ll do half of the maths homework and the other half in a sub class.
Why is this? this child is brailliant, I bought a Nokia E66 over the weekend and couldn' t tranfer or connect e-mail, he did it all for me from the insertion of the battery.I have taken him to so many head doctors as I worry about him and yold there is nothing wrong with him.He knows all his school work but lazy to write and throws his school books away and tells his teacher his lost it.Am I wrong to worry.Has he a problem his been tested for ADD and AHDA nothing.

Maybe he needs to see a child psychologist more skilled at getting to the bottom of whatver hsi problem is, and who can work with you to devise a program to get him working properly again. If you have actually seen others,. then their response, as you report it, puzzles me. They may be right that he doesn't earn a specific diagnosis like ADD --- but there is a fairly clearly defined problem with his behaviour in school, and any good child shrink should be able to work with you to devise a progeam to change this maladaptive behaviour

4
Posted by: Mom | 2008/10/13

Cybershrink thanks for your reply well appreciated but my son for the past two years is seeing a child psycologists at his school on a weekly basis and has seen others privately as well as psychiatrist.
Maria your friends daughter sounds like my son and yes I' ve been thinking along those lines that his bored stiff and hates nagging which he gets from the teachers and myself, I will try what you' ve said thanks again.

Reply to Mom
Posted by: Maria | 2008/10/13

Rather than slow, perhaps is bored? Two things I can think of that may be worth trying:
1) Set up a system of rewards and consequences for work done or not done. E.g. no tv until all your homework is completed, or a special outing for very specific goals reached. You will know what is important to your son.
2) Create opportunities for him to be mentally stimulated outside of the classroom. A friend of mine is an Occupational Therapist. She used to work with a kid whose IQ was off the scale. This girl did brilliantly in Maths, but just averagely in subjects she wasn' t interested in. My friend' s role was to give her extra stimulation, and encourage her to work at all her subjects.

Good luck!

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Mom | 2008/10/13

Star I' ve had all that done and he came out tops.Nothing wrong with them.Ta

Reply to Mom
Posted by: Star | 2008/10/13

Have they tested his eyes and ears?

Reply to Star