Posted by: Amanda | 2012-01-30

Worried about Yaz

Dear Gynae doc

This weekend I read in a magazine that Yaz contraception is a ''light'' pill. I''ve been using Yaz for almost a year now and I am sexually active.

Does this mean that Yaz is not as effective as other Pills to prevent pregnancy. We do not always use a condom during sex and I''m worried that I might get pregnant by just using Yaz.

I also read that the Pill should be drank at the same time every morning - which I do, but sometimes my timing differs between 30minutes. Will this have an impact on the protection of the pill?

Thank you! appreciate

Yaz is as effective as all the other oral contraceptives. You do not need to use a condom for extra contraceptive protection. A 30 minute difference in the time of taking the pill will not make a difference.