Posted by: Sonique | 2009-02-24

worried about weight gain

i have recently joined the Curves gym and go everyday. I am just slightly worried that I am going to build muscle instead of loose weight because I still eat carbs?

Dear Sonique
I don't know why carbohydrates have such a bad reputation! Carbohydrates especially those with a high fibre content supply the least amount of energy of any of the so-called macronutrients - only 16 kJ per gram. Fat in contrast provides 37 kJ per gram - a great difference. Protein supplies 17 kJ per gram and alcohol is second only to fat at 29 kJ per gram, so when you want to lose or control weight you really don't need to cut out carbs, but you do need to control how much fat you eat and how much alcohol you drink (if the latter should apply). The fact that you are probably going to build muscle tissue may make you weigh more for a while because muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue, but you will still lose fat if you reduce your fat intake and exercise sufficiently to use up additional kJ. So stick to a low-fat balanced diet and do your exercises and you will lose weight.

Posted by: Merl | 2009-02-24

You will lose weight (fat) and gain muscle but you will be leaner and firmer, thats great! Remember muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe cut down a little on the carbs though. lets here what diet doc has to say anyway. good luck.

Reply to Merl