Question
Posted by: Mathew | 2008/10/08

Worried about pregnancy

Hi doctor

My friend has been undergoing fertility treatment. She did a pregnancy test and the result was positive. However, her doctor told her that one foetus was attached to the" tube"  and another was here it should be. In order to save the viable foetus, they will have to operate to remove it from the " tube" . She is very worried and depressed. Is this procedure generally successful? Will the anaesthetic harm the viable foetus?
I just want to put her mind at ease.
Thanks!

Dear Mathew

It appears that your friend has a condition called a Heterotopic pregnancy state, where one pregnancy occurs in the uterus and the other one in the fallopian tube. This is a very unusual incident however it does occur occasionally. What will be required to be done is that an operation would be performed to remove the pregnancy from the fallopian, as the continuation of this pregnancy is dangerous for the person’s health. If done very quickly without minimal complication and a very short anaesthetic then usually this may not harm the viable foetus. However any anaesthetic in the first trimester does carry a risk.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo

3
Posted by: kwane | 2008/10/10

I' ve got the problem after having sex with my husband, my vigina itch and after one day I realised that i' ve got rush. I went to clinic and doctors for this problem for so many times. Please help me because now I wan' t a baby and I' m worried this is coming and going, i' m confused now because i use so many things to help me.

Reply to kwane
Posted by: Dee | 2008/10/08

The same happened to a friend of mine and she ended up having a successful pregnancy (with only 1 baby), her other tube was removed.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Nix | 2008/10/08

Lets just say that if she doesn' t remove the fetus in the tube then she is putting her own life at risk. Unfortunately I don' t think she has got any other choice. I hope all works out well for her. I don' t think there is anything that you can say at this point to put her mind at ease. Just be there for her as she' s really gonna need her friends now.

Reply to Nix