Posted by: SJ | 2009-10-07

worried about my husband

my husband eats the following in one day:

smoothie made with 3 fruits
(sometimes he will eat all bran flakes as well)

2 Apples

1 protein
1 Carb

he trains in kung fu 3 nights a week 2 days he does 1 hour and 1 day he does 2 hours.

he is very thin. i worry that he is not eating enough. He suffers from IBS and says that if he eats starch through the day then it hurts his stomach (intestines?).

what can we do?

Dear SJ
If your hubby suffers from IBS then he needs to see a Gastroenterologist so that he can obtain treatment for his condition. He will also benefit from consulting a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will be able to assist him with a diet prescription that will help him to gain some weight and provide more energy for his exercise.