Question
Posted by: Rien | 2010/07/12

Worried about my grandson

Pse let me know what could be wrong and if you know what the cause is and why does it happen, he is 2 years old and when he cries all of a sudden he goes limp and blue in the face when you give him a smack on the nappy he comes back, what is the cause and do you know if it will have long term damage to his brain, and the few seconds does he breathe , does his brain get enough oxygen, pse help I am so worried.

OK, this is not at all my area of expertise - there are several possibilities here. He's probably going to be all right, but it is essential that he be taken to see a good local paediatrician soon for a proper examination and assessment. I'd guess he's not likely to suffer significant brain damage if someone is always close enough to see this and get him started again, and because it occurs during crying when he will have been breathing more deeply than usual as part of crying.

1