Question
Posted by: John | 2010/03/26

Worried about my eating plan

Hi doc,

Could you please help me with my eating plan. I gym 5 times a week, my weigh is 100kg and I am about 1.95m

I would like to lose some belly &  chest fat. I have been following this eating plan for a while now but this past week I have been so damn tired and moody.

Morning:= oats or all bran flakes, protein shake and a glass of water.
Lunch:= 4 slices of wholeweat bread.
4pm snack:= 2 slices of wholeweat bread.
Dinner after I return from the gym:= either fish/chicken(skinless) or pork chops with lots of veggies and a salad and a protein shake.
I also drink abouy.t 5-8lt of water a day.

I know this is far from perfect and any adjustments or criticsm would be appreciated.

Dear John
Did you say that you are drinking 5-8 LITRES of water a day??? If so, STOP immediately. This is probably why you are so tired and moody and irritable. Adults only require 2,5 litres of liquid a day which includes everything you drink (water, fruit juice, tea, coffee, milk, etc). If you drink such vast volumes of water you are washing all kinds of electrolytes out of your body, esp potassium and sodium, plus magnesium and even calcium. You have probably heard of the athletes that collapse and die after a marathon like the Comrades? well some of them died because they only ingested water while running and did not have any potassium and sodium and some form of carbohydrate. They literally died of water intoxication. So stop drinking so much liquid and stick to 2,5 litres a day. You should also include low-fat milk or yoghurt (drinking yoghurt) as a post-exercise recovery drink and to provide the 1000 mg of calcium you need daily. Your present BMI = 26,3, which is a bit higher than the top of the normal range, so you need to only lose about 9 kg to reach your goal weight. Your exercise should help you shed this weight. To build muscles and flatten tummies takes time, so be patient and concentrate on your exercise.
Take care

3
Posted by: TeP | 2010/03/29

John, the diet doc doesn''t look back at old posts, but I''d ask about your consistent thirst. Can''t being thirsty all the time be an indication of problems with your blood sugar? Just a thought! maybe if you have a sugar issue and get that sorted you won''t be so thirsty all the time.

Reply to TeP
Posted by: John | 2010/03/29

Thanks for the advice Doc, my problem with water is I''m constantly thirsty. Iam only 24 but since I can remember I have always had a glass of water next to me.

Reply to John

Dear John
Take care