Posted by: Ronelle | 2009-08-16

worried about my 11 year old Maltese

Hi there.

I' ll try to make the story as short as possible, but maybe the history is needed.

When Amie, my 11 year old maltese was still a young dog, she ate a half decomposed gecko and as you can imagine, got very ill. We were lucky to see this happening and acted on it immediately.

She got better but as time went by, it became clear to us that she would have relapses. She became nauseous easily and with times had diarrhea and other times got very bloated and constipated. Sometimes there is even some blood in her excrement.

I' ve taken her to so many vets. Even specialists. They all think that the problem does not come from the first episode,, with the gecko. She never eats funny food, so it can not be something that she eats.

This past week, she dehydrated and was submitted to hospital but after a day on the drip, she again started eating and could then come home. She is still on antibiotics but again had a bout of vomiting tonight. The tests that was done this week, shows no high blood counts. No high white blood cell count or damage to the liver or kidneys. All they could find was that she had a bacterial infection in her intestines.

When she was vomiting tonight, she fell on her side and her legs was kicking in the air. My daughter saw this and called me but by the time I got to them, she was on all fours again.

I give her Pet Probi-flora when she starts getting bloated, but this week it did not help in the least. And sometimes when I give her medicinal charcoal, it also helps. This time, not even that helped.

I am really at my wits end, and don' t know what to do any more.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong with my poor baby?

Thank you for your time.
Kind regards

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet

Dear Ronelle

I think you need to a specialist who can ultrasound scan the abdome. If this is not diagnostic some gut and stomach biopsies may be helpfull.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-16

I' m pretty much as sure as your vets that the gecko incident has nothing to do with any of this - frankly, I' d forget about it if I were you.

You say that the gut problems cannot be caused by anything she eats - I would question this. She may have some allergy, intolerance or sensitivity to any of the ingredients of her food - even the preservatives, for example. Then, she may well be nibbling on stuff you don' t know about... not that that should harm the average dog - but again, she may be sensitive to something.

Has your vet done a faecal analysis? If not, take a small, fresh stool specimen to him - he' ll do it himself, it' s not a laboratory thing.

Get her some Protexin, and put that on her food every day.

If nothing else becomes clear, request a referral to a veterinary specialist. Once a correct diagnosis is made, the rest should be easy.

Whatever you do, don' t mess around with every single ' home remedy'  anyone suggests to you. You could easily do more harm than good.

Reply to Chill

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.