Posted by: Vikram | 2012-11-18

Worried about HIV infection

I had sex with an prostitute this Friday night, during the intercourse my condom was torn and i realised it after few strokes, my penis was very much dry.

Though after that she wore an female condom (which she took with her in bag while leaving. Im really scared whether it was a used one) for some time.

Later to finish the activity, I wore an male condom which was fine.

Im really worried that  is there a chance of me getting infected with HIV as I observe palpitation, frequent visits to restroom (motion is normal).

Kindly advice me, Im really scared this was my first time and I have made my mind to avoid any more adventures.

You will have to consult your doctor for an STD profile and HIV test. If your doctor feels that your risk was high enough to contract HIV, you can use prophylactic medication to lesson your risk. You will have to repeat the HIV test after 3 and 6 months, as there is a window period. Unfortunately, you did put yourself at risk.

Posted by: Osita | 2012-11-27

Signs and sytpommsThe sytpomms of HIV and AIDS vary, depending on the phase of infection. When first infected with HIV, you may have no sytpomms at all, although it''s more common to develop a brief flu-like illness two to six weeks after becoming infected. But because the signs and sytpomms of an initial infection â € ”  which may include fever, headache, sore throat, swollen lymph glands and rash â € ”  are similar to those of other diseases, you might not realize you''ve been infected with HIV.Even if you don''t have sytpomms, you''re still able to transmit the virus to others. Once the virus enters your body, your own immune system also comes under attack. The virus multiplies in your lymph nodes and slowly begins to destroy your helper T cells (CD4 lymphocytes) â € ”  the white blood cells that coordinate your entire immune system.You may remain symptom-free for eight or nine years or more. But as the virus continues to multiply and destroy immune cells, you may develop mild infections or chronic sytpomms such as:Swollen lymph nodes â € ”  often one of the first signs of HIV infectionDiarrheaWeight lossFeverCough and shortness of breathDuring the last phase of HIV â € ”  which occurs approximately 10 or more years after the initial infection â € ”  more serious sytpomms may begin to appear, and the infection may then meet the official definition of AIDS. In 1993, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) redefined AIDS to mean the presence of HIV infection as shown by a positive HIV-antibody test plus at least one of the following:The development of an opportunistic infection â € ”  an infection that occurs when your immune system is impaired â € ”  such as Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP)A CD4 lymphocyte count of 200 or less â € ”  a normal count ranges from 600 to 1,000By the time AIDS develops, your immune system has been severely damaged, making you susceptible to opportunistic infections. The signs and sytpomms of some of these infections may include:Soaking night sweatsShaking chills or fever higher than 100 F for several weeksDry cough and shortness of breathChronic diarrheaPersistent white spots or unusual lesions on your tongue or in your mouthHeadachesBlurred and distorted visionWeight lossYou may also begin to experience signs and sytpomms of later stage HIV infection itself, such as:Persistent, unexplained fatigueSoaking night sweatsShaking chills or fever higher than 100 F for several weeksSwelling of lymph nodes for more than three monthsChronic diarrheaPersistent headachesIf you''re infected with HIV, you''re also more likely to develop certain cancers, especially Kaposi''s sarcoma, cervical cancer and lymphoma, although improved treatments have reduced the risk of these illnesses.Symptoms of HIV in childrenChildren who are HIV-positive often fail to gain weight or grow normally. As the disease progresses, they may have difficulty walking or delayed mental development. In addition to being susceptible to the same opportunistic infections that adults are, children may have severe forms of common childhood illnesses such as ear infections (otitis media), pneumonia and tonsillitis.

Reply to Osita
Posted by: Vikram | 2012-11-21

I did had a checkup and it was found -ve. since it has been more than 72 hours, doctor said nothing can be done now and I need to wait for some more time.

I came to know that the female is also -ve.

Kindly advice is there any preventive measures ??

Reply to Vikram