Question
Posted by: Gillian | 2010/07/13

Worried about Hamster

Dear Doc, our cute little hamster has had a problem eye for the past 5 days. It first appeared as if her one eye seemed larger than the other but I read up about this on the internet which indicated that she may have an eye infection. These eye infections seem fairly common amongst hamsters. I have been bathing her eye with rooibos tea as well as a very weak contact lens solution. Tonight her eye started bleeding. I will take her to our vet tomorrow, but I must know whether she has been suffering as this will break my heart. We have only had her a month but we love her so. I also know that hamsters do not live very long, so we only want her to have the best for the time that she is with us. She is still eating and is active. Do you think that her eye will be amputated or will the vet put her to sleep? Thank you Gillian

Hi Gillian

Difficult to say what the cause of the problem is. As you know from the internet there are may conditions that may result in the loss of an eye. I suspect in your case that there may have been the development of a corneal ulcer and that may have ruptured resulting in the loss of the ocular contents. If that is the case then removal of the eye will ultimately be curative. Has the hamster felt pain..this is a very difficult question to address as animals percieve and can react to different pain thresholds. There may have been some discomfort as I suspect that if the condition was very painful ten there may have been loss of appetite e.t.c. The main objective is that you took your beloved hamster to the vet to get treated.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/14

Hi Gillian

Reply to CyberVet