Posted by: Catherine | 2012-04-27

worried about child

I had anorexia and bouts of bulimia all through my youth. Got treatment and it''s been a struggle ever since. I''m 31 now and I''m physically much healthier, but the struggle entails a bit of obsession with all things food and diet. I saw something disturbing on tele the other day. A mother had anorexia as a teen and now her son has issues with food and will not eat at times...he was 10. I have a toddler.
I try to encourage a good diet at home, we eat a variety of good food, veg, fruit, and we certainly enjoy treats like chocolate, icecream etc, even the occassional takeout.
However I am afraid that my past issues with food will affect my child.
I encourage my child to finish his food, but I do not force as I think it creates anxiety around the table and the concept of food...I experienced that with grandparents as a child (couldn''t leave the table until every morsel was eaten).
We eat together at the table and we try to keep it light and problems are discussed at dinner time and no moods are brought to the table.
Please tell me if there is anything I am doing wrong or if there is anything I can do to help prevent problems later down the line. I was terrified after seeing this thing on tele.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Catherine,
I can understand your concern, but as long as you are installing good, healthy eating habits for your family, it is not very likely your child will have an eating disorder as you had. The environmental influences are much stronger than any genetic influence. Relax, and keep doing what you are. And well done that you have made such progress from your own eating disorder.

Posted by: Tya | 2012-05-10

I''m so glad you asked this. It is something I worry about all the time. I am also 31 and still struggling. Most of what I read isn''t very promising about ''passing'' it on to children, either genetically or through social, even if you try and avoid it at all costs. What can you do?

Reply to Tya