Question
Posted by: Karla | 2011/05/22

Worried about buddy

Hi there, I''m a bit worried about a friend. She''s been obsessed about her weight for years and I cannot convince her to rather just eat healthy instead of NOT eating. She''s my height, 1.75m, and I''m not sure how much she weighs now (last time she told me her weight, about a month ago, she weighed 60kgs). She has a bit of a butt (but everyone compliments her figure) but she thinks she''s huge. Now she''s gotten it into her head that over weekends, she''ll treat herself BUT she''ll take laxatives to avoid weight gain. Please doc how do I convince her that this is NOT going to help her lose weight?! How do I get her to rather eat healthy sweet treats (she has a terrible sweet tooth- what sweet things can she eat rather) and that eating is NOT going to make her fat???

Dear Karla
If your friend is 1.75 m tall and weighs 60 kg, then her present BMI = 19,6, which is in the underweight category. She certainly should not lose more weight and actually should gain about 5-7 kg to be at her ideal weight. From what you say, it does sound as if your friend is showing signs of an eating disorder (obsessive ideas about her weight even if she is underweight; unrealistic body image, where she thinks she is 'huge', when she is already very thin, and now this bulimic behaviour of eating over weekends and then purging herself with laxatives to prevent weight gain). If she is open to talking about her obsessions, then do suggest that she should consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) and a clinical psychologist (the dietitian should be able to refer her). Eating disorders need to be treated by a team approach to get the patient back to eating a healthy diet and to help them sort out what is driving them to self destruct. If you are in Gauteng then it may help if she contacts Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs she can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za
Try to persuade her to go for expert help ASAP.

2
Posted by: X | 2011/05/23

She''s got anorexia, which is a psychological disorder. You''ll need to convince her to go see a psychiatrist / psychologist. It''s highly unlikely that you''ll be able to help her.

Reply to X

Dear Karla