Question
Posted by: M... | 2009-07-20

Worried - 5 weeks pregnant

I just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant with my second child. My husband and I have been trying for a 2nd child for than a year. My concern is that I used a 5 days Antibiotics (Avelon Moxifloxacin) and Cortisone (Panacort 5mg) when I was about 3 weeks pregnant –  I really did not think that I was pregnant then. Will this harm our unborn? What now to do?? I am really worried and my gynaecologist said to come and see him only at 8 weeks pregnant? What if I have hurt our unborn? Will the doctor be able to tell if the baby is okay?

The cortisone is not a problem. There are no studies of Avelon in pregnancy, so its safety is unknown. Animal studies using high doses have shown some problems, but this cannot necessarily be translated to humans. It will not be possible at this early stage to assess if there is any problem.