Question
Posted by: M... | 2009-07-20

Worried - 5 weeks pregnant

I just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant with my second child. My husband and I have been trying for a 2nd child for than a year. My concern is that I used a 5 days Antibiotics (Avelon Moxifloxacin) and Cortisone (Panacort 5mg) when I was about 3 weeks pregnant –  I really did not think that I was pregnant then. Will this harm our unborn? What now to do?? I am really worried and my gynaecologist said to come and see him only at 8 weeks pregnant? What if I have hurt our unborn? Will the doctor be able to tell if the baby is okay?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Although this family of antibiotics (talking about the avelon) are not advised during pregnancy, studies in animals have shown that doses much higher than the maximum recommended human dose were NOT teratogenic.

I suggest getting your gynae's opinion on this, but I dont think you should be too worried.

The Panafcort is also relatively low-risk