Question
Posted by: EM | 2013-02-05

WORRIED

i had my fibroids removed in dec and my doc also told me that the quality of my eggs is low (for my age that is - 27yrs). what are the chances of me getting pregnant? what''s the best solution to this without having to go through IVF and the likes?

Dear EM
It is important to distinguish the difference in poor egg quality and reduced egg reserves. The only way to determine egg quality is through an IVF programme where the actual eggs are extracted and analysed in the laboratory and the fertilisation capacity of the eggs are tested. On the other hand where blood test show there is poor reserves or that the likely hood of producing eggs are reduced, this does not necessarily correlate with natural egg quality. Therefore it is still possible, despite the lower ovarian reserve to produce reasonable quality eggs and therefore it is not entirely possible to conceive naturally provided that all other factors are within normal limits. This implies that there should be no or minimal male factor problems as well as there should be patency of the fallopian tubes and natural ovulation is occurring on a month to month bases. Should this be the case then my advice is that you try naturally for at least 6-9 months and the use of ovulation detection kits maybe helpful in this regard. However if you have still not conceived after 9 months I would advise you to start some form of active fertility treatment to facilitate pregnancy.
Answered by Dr M.I.Cassim