Question
Posted by: terrified | 2011/05/16

WORRIED

Hi cs.i have a rather embaressing problem.i am so terrified of this whole business of the end of the world coming on the 21st.i know its ridiculous because no one can predict the exact date but im still thinking about it so much that its interfering with my life.i know if i think about it rationally that its absolute rubbish but it doesnt put my mind at ease.im not usually the type of person who stresses and is paranoid so i cant understand why its bothering me so much.is this type of obsessive worrying normal?

NOW you tell me this ? Just after I've made firm plans for the 22nd ? Seriously, t, you know it's ridiculous but still worry about it. Sometimes, rather than focus our skillls for worrying on real things that are actual genuine problems for us, we choose instead to worry about this sort of unreal problem, instead - and you're right, there can be a strongly obsessive component to it, too.
But now, it appears, you are worrying about the world ending, and then worrying about worrying about it. Indeed, if the world did end, on any particular day, by definition we'd have nothing more to worry about.
Would it help for you to control part of the situation, by setting up a large or small End of the World party on that night, with some ood friends, good food and wine. If, as seems incredibly likely, nothing untoward happens, at least you'll have had a pleasant evening. And if it all did happen to end, you'd have gone out with a band and not a whimper.
Try to stop obsessing about it, and treat the idea like a buzzing fly in the room. Every time the worry starts to enter your mind, swat at it, and chase it away, and concentrate on the many much more pleasant things to worry about.

1