Question
Posted by: Kitty | 2010/09/10

Worried

Hi Doc. I''ve got a sausage dog, he''s just over a year old now. Lately he started shaking his head from side to side. Like saying no with your head, but you can see it''s involuntary. It''s like a spasm or something. It looks soo funny, but I''m really worried about this. It happens every night for like a minute, and then it goes away. I''m scared it''s like signs of a stroke or brain damage or something. Do you have any suggestions on what this might be?

Thanks so much
Regards,
K

Hi Kitty

Sorry for the late reply.

Head tremors can be from side to side as in your case or up and down. In general there is no explanation for this condition - termed Idiopthic Head Tremor. The tremours are usually more prominent when the dog is less active. In humans the nodding of the head can occur with a lesion in the thalamus.

The is no information on the most appropriate treatment. It is said that there maybe a partial response to antiepileptic drugs. These tremours rarely affect the animals quality of life

Please note tht there can be other causes to this condition - inflammatory or infectious diseases.

If you want to proceed further then you would need to go to the vet and get a full diagnostic work-up that may include blood work, CSF analysis and even imaging of the brain.

I hope this helps

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/13

Hi Kitty

Sorry for the late reply.

I hope this helps

Reply to CyberVet