Question
Posted by: Sybil | 2010/07/02

Worried

I had my 12 week scan and blood tests. The results came back with a high risk for Downs Syndrome (1 in 90). I am only 32. The NS was 2.3 which I thought was normal, and the nasal bone was seen, so it must be the blood tests that were extra abnormal as I believe they combine age, the NS and the blood figures to come up with the risk %. I really am afriad of an amnio as my husband and I have been trying to fall pregant for years and had resorted to ICSI. I have heard that an amnio can cause a miscarriage and after trying for so long (not to mention costs of every IVF course) I would be devastated to have a miscarriage now. I would want to keep a baby even with Downs but my husband is adamant that he does not want to and I know he will want to insist on an amnio. I do not know which way to turn so maybe an amnio is the answer because I believe this gives 100% accurate confirmation if it is a Downs baby. What is the risk rate for an amnio or does a lot depend on the accuracy of the doctor with the needle. I presume my fertility specialist would do it.He is also my gynae. He is doing a Level ii scan next Thursday, plus more blood tests. I will be 16 weeks 2 days pregnant by then. He then wants me to go for a 4D scan two weels later. Is the Level ii scan different to the last one I had and does it or the 4D scan show up Downs with more certainty than the previous 12 week scan. Does IVF cause any inaccuracy in the test results. My six week scan showed a second sac which never developed and someone told me that can also cause inaccurate test results. I really need to hear some good news - is there any? Another thing, if I have an amnio I will already be 18-20 weeks pregant. The thought of aborting a baby at any time, let alone half way through my pregancy is horrifying. Is there a deadline after which an abortion can not be done in this country? Twenty weeks seems very late.

In the end , all the scans and blood tests will only give you a risk. As you are starting off with a risk of 1 in 90, this is unlikely to be reduced by more than half with all the other tests, i.e. 1 in 180, which is still regarded as high risk. In the end the amnio is the only thing that will give a definite answer. The miscarriage risk is low - 0,5 - 1 %. Terminations of pregnancy for abnormalities can be done till 24 weeks.

1