Question
Posted by: mercy | 2010/02/23

worried

Hi doc
I think my boyfriend has a problem. he drinks alot over weekends start from thursday to and ends on monday. we never spend time together on weekends cos he is always drunk and im always alone at home and he is with his friends. (and i mean every weekend of his life). He feels his drinking is not a problem and he has stress, but never talks about his stress. He drinks that much that he falls around, and get drunk by 3 beers while the others are still drinking and then he has to sleep. but when he gets up after a few hours of sleeping he''s still drunk and starts drinking again. He goes on like this for the whole weekend. drinking and sleeping. What must i do, does he hav a drinking problem or am i just overreacting.

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Mercy

It sounds as if your boyfriend has more than just a drinking problem. He is showing all the signs of alcoholism.

You don't have to drink every day in order to be an alcoholic. His binge drinking is regular and destructive enough for him to fall into this category.

You will most probably find that should you confront him about his alcoholism he will deny it. In fact, he might get angry.

You should gently talk to him about his drinking. Ask him to stop completely. If he can't, then it will just be further proof that he has more than just a drinking problem.

Suggest that he attends an AA meeting. If that doesn't work, he should consider treatment. If he still won't co-operate you should think about an intervention of some kind.

I know that this might sound alarming to you, but you are dealing with a serious situation. We can assist you with advice and with how to go about an intervention.

You can email Ruby at ruby@harmonyclinic.co.za or phone her on Tel: 021 790 7779.

Don't wait too long and don't think that you are overreacting.

1
Posted by: Addictions expert forum | 2010/02/23

Hello Mercy

Reply to Addictions expert forum