Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/22

Worried

My husband is very ill healthed. He has diabetes, diverticulities, heart disease, depression, back problems, constipation and digestive problems. He was retrenched due to ill health 6 years ago and is now 61. He also has a history of alcohol abuse for a very long period although he is now dry for about 7 months. It seems that his health is deteriorating now and he says it is because his no longer using of alcohol. To me it seems that he wants to drink again in order to self medicate him. I am not keen on this and do not encourage it. Now he is even more depressed, hardly talks ever and is very negative about anything and anybody. He is on cilift but I don' t think it is doing anything for his mental state. It seems to me that he is blaming me for his condition for not letting him drink again! How should I handle this and him because it is killing me. On the other hand I know that in this case I must be cruel to be kind!

Alcohol won't help his problems, especially the depression, digestive problems, etc., so he is wise now to stay dry. Alcohol is often used as self-medication for anxiety, even though it usually then increases the problems causing the anxiety. It will inevitably increase his depression. I it a GP who is treating him > Maybe a different antidepressant might suit him better, AND some counselling of the CBT sort could shift his negative and unhelpful habits of thought. And work with him to find other interests and activities, other than alcohol, which is a poor hobby

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/22

Alcohol is often harmelss short term but very dangerous long term, so its good his off it...why dont you suggest to his doctor changing his medication to a more effective antidepressant and also suggest counselling. he needs to refocus and find a more healthy interest in life instead of drinking