Posted by: Liv25 | 2008-11-10

My brother aged 34 had a terrible headache &  his right arm felt lame after a while. He went to hospital &  they kept him there for the night.He was diagnosed with high blood pressure this morning. I would like to know if this be a sign of the start of a stroke? Also how can I assist him in addapting to this new condition?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Liv 25,

This is unlikely to be a warning of an impending stroke – usually they happen without warning. One can however have these symptoms if there is a bleed into the brain.

When you say ‘assist him in adapting to this new condition’ you do not make it clear what the new condition is – is his arm still lame, does he still have a headache – if he does, has he been seen by a neurologist? If the lameness has persisted, the best way for you to assist him is to make sure he has a proper neurological examination as soon as possible.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).