Question
Posted by: raffi | 2008/10/24

worried

Hi CS i was diagnosed with bi polar and borderline personality disorder the thing is i' ve been a cutter ever since i can remember and i' m trying to stop-VERY DIFFICULT- and comes as a huge challenge problem is i dont know if its a distraction or what but my sex drive has gone into overdrive sometimes i cant take it anymore and have to use the little ladies room at work! this is bad for me surely? is there any other form of distraction i can use maybe?

very embarrased

Its a difficult combination, and I know that stopping what is essentially a bad habit of self-cutting, is difficult at first, though fortunately it gets easier. Other forms of distraction would be worth developing ( and rather more convenient !). Some cutters I have worked with find surprisingly simple distractions work well for nthem when the urge comes on them. A short, sharp HARMLESS pain can help --- and some wear a rubber band round their wrist, and when the urge comes up, they stretch and snap the band against their wrist, and the urge passes. Some use washable red felt-tip pens, to slash a mark across their wrist, or even across a piece of bright white paper ; and then wash it off the wrist. Be creative in finding alternatives. As you know from cutting ( with all its disadvantages ) a really brief act can have more lasting calming or other effects