Posted by: Beverley | 2011-10-04

worn out

Although I am 60 years old a a bit overweight i look after myself well. For the past year I have been very gradually losing weight and am halfway to my target. I have increased my physical activity from nil to twice weekly walk and twice weekly aerobic exercise and some strength training, both suited to my age and condition of fitness. I eat a balanced diet. Have never smoked or taken alcohol. A month ago checkup at doc revealed nothing abnormal except slightly high BP. In the past few months though, I find that I get a delayed reaction of extreme fatigue to physical exertion. While I am exercising I get a bit out of breath but feel revitalised. An hour after stopping exercise I am as floppy as a rag doll, barely able to drag my weight around. Not sleepy but relaxed and feeling drained of strength and energy. What is this? It really wastes my time as I just sit or lie down for hours.

You will have to consult your doctor for an examination and blood tests. Your symptoms can be due to a metabolic disorder, like hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia. Your iron levels should also be tested and anemia should be excluded. In the interim, you can try a healthy snack after exercise with a low glycemic index. Also focus on rehydrating yourself after exercising with a product like Energade.