Posted by: Sue | 2011-11-24

Worms in 11 year old

Good morning,

I have always regularly de-wormed my daughter, and she is about due now, but last night she complained of an itchy bum - badly itchy, I told her to check for worms in her next bowel movement, which she did, and it would appear that she does have worms. My questions are: I will buy Vermox single dose today to give her and buy another one to give her in 3 weeks to make sure the worms are well and truly gone. Is this the right de-worming medication to give her? Is it strong enough?
Secondly, where do kids pick up worms? We dont have pets, and her hygiene is good - could it be from dirty pool water (she swam at a friends a few weeks back and the pool was slightly green)? I know its a common occurence in children, but it is just too gross!!
many thanks

Worms are highly contagious and could have been picked up by eating a salad. A green pool will not be the cause for the worms. I do suggest that you consult a doctor for stool analysis, in order to determine the spesific infestation. Once this is determined, the correct treatment can be suggested.