Posted by: Dawn | 2009-01-16

Worms - disposing of pet faeces

I have just read the article on worms. Given that our pets are a source of infection, what is the correct way to dispose of the faeces? Everything I read merely says hygenically- one needs more specific advice. In the household refuse, septic tank, burn, worm composter or what? The Cape Town by laws merely states that it must be done in a way that satisfies health laws. Help, please.

Dear Dawn

In the normal bin is fine but a better way is to buy a 'Doggy Loo". You bury this thing half way and put the faeces in with a special degrader. The poo then biodegrades in your garden.

Posted by: nicky | 2009-01-18

Most worms do not affect humans - but some do, such as the hookworm larvae - cause creeping eruptions. Larvae of ascarids (large roundworms) have also be known to infecct man, and larvae could settle in eye - ocular migrans. Check intenet for more.
I would not bury faeces, and do not put on compost heap. Eggs ofsome worms can stay viable for a long time. Also larvae if enough moisture in environment. My suggestion - pick up faeces each and every day. Either place in plastic bag and seal and send away from property, or down the loo. I have built in a pipe on the outside of the house, that connects to the loo with the main sewage pipes - has a lid that I take off, put faeces down, and close the lid, and the go inside and flush the loo.
Good luck.

Reply to nicky
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-16

What article on worms?

MOST dog worms do not affect humans, so there' s no need to get paranoid. The main one that can does so only VERY rarely.

Deworm your dogs regularly - at least twice a year, but I do mine every 3 months.

If you chuck the faeces in your bin, be sure to put them into a plastic bag with a knot tied in it - maggots in your bin are most unimpressive.

Reply to Chill