Posted by: Jacques | 2010-02-02

Workplace Conditions - Sick Building Sindrome

Good day,

I read your article on Sick Building Syndrome, the possible causes and possible remedies. I am an employee in an organisation that rents a property, which would be classified under your definition as a ' sick building' . What are our legal rights in terms of our relationship with our landlord regarding a non healthy working environment? Is the landlord responsible for rectifying the situation or alternatively, are we in our rights to sever the lease?

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Jacques there are regulations governing a building including safety and health issues. You should calmly list your concerns by category,meet with the manager,take minutes and if needed enlist the help of an environmental hygienist.