Posted by: Tom | 2009-06-03

ive started doing a split routine thats like this shoulders + legs, back + biceps, chest + triceps and i will do that on 3 consecutive days have a rest day and then begin the circuit again first of all how is my split looking? secondly i dont like spending over an hour in the gym so with me spending 6 days on weights i dont really have any time for cardio so ive decided to do them on the same day at different times, which should i do first go for a run then wait a couple of hours before i hit the gym or vice versa?

Hi Tom

The split seems pretty good to me. See how it goes, because you might find that you'd prefer to link other areas, but it sounds good on paper.

In terms of doing the cardio and weights at different times on the same day, that's a good question. I would say do the weights first, and run later, so that you're doing the weight training in a positive state of energy balance. You don't want to hit the weights feeling drained from the run, if your main goal is to build muscle.

On the other hand, if the main goal is the running (which it doesn't sound to me like it is), then it's better to run first. Otherwise you run on tired legs and with a tired body, and that also increases the risk of injury. So just be careful with that, you have to be cautious in the beginning, because you will be exercises with tired muscles, no matter which order you choose, and that means you have back off on the second session until you're used to it.