Posted by: Sharon | 2009-01-20

Working with Children Who Have AIDS

I’ ve elected to volunteer at an orphanage where I will be interacting with young children who have AIDS. I really feel that it is my duty to give back to my community and I feel that AIDS children are in desperate need of attention and stimulation. They are suffering from an illness that has left them alone and rejected by society. I understand that there are very real dangers of working with children who have AIDS but I’ d like your take on this.

I’ m recovering from a severe eating disorder and want to give back. I’ ve been lucky to have had support and resources that have helped me in my recovery and I would like to give some of that back. My boyfriend is concerned that I’ m putting myself at risk and I’ d like to know from your professional point of view what the dangers are and if I really should be doing this? I don’ t want my concerns to get the better of me. That is why these children need support –  because of the stigmas attached to AIDS.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say about this?

let,s see. Dangers. AIDS is fortunately harder to catch than most people think, but some precautions are in order about blood ( eg if a kid cuts herself ) and so on, but presumably the other staff will clue you in on this. Emotional risks --- well, some whenever dealing with seriously sick people, that some of those you grow attached to you may lose. Be sure you are strong enough to handle that, especially with children.
And also try asking on the HIV forum about precautions to be wary of. Generally, you will be able to be effective and affectionate without running risks yourself

Posted by: Gal | 2009-01-20

Im gonna copy and paste ur message to the HIV Forum.Pls check the responses there.

Reply to Gal