Posted by: Tiny | 2008-11-24

Working shifts and noisy neighbours

I am a shift-worker and have very noisy neighbours. They are not the registered owners of the house. They are just renting. They are running a part-time plumbing business from the premises as well. They are constantly in-and-out. Everytime they, friends, family or customers arrive, they will hoot constantly - day or night. It is causing me to not have enough sleep for my 12-hour shifts. I have spoken to them about it and was told that it is not my house. What can be done about this?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It's illegal to make 'unreasonable' noise late at night and on Sundays. You need to lodge a formal complaint with the city council (speak to the environmental health department too), and keep complaining until action is taken. You are also well within your rights to call the local police and complain on any night that the noise continues late.

It may be worthwhile also lodging a complaint with the department of labour too - your neighbours need legal permission to run a business in a residential area.

Another potentially useful step to take is to talk to other nearby residents who may well be experiencing the same problem.

This is unfortunately a very difficult issue if people refuse to co-operate, and you will need to hang in there and be persistent.