Question
Posted by: Wondering | 2008/06/12

Working overtime

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if this is possible. My bf is working a LOT of overtime. He says he starts work at 8am then he is supposed to knock off at 5pm, but then he stays on with the afternoon shift until they leave at 10pm and he continues with the night shift to knock off at 1am. He is working all the shifts. That is 8 hours of overtime PER DAY. And he says he does this EVERYDAY including Sundays. Does labour law allow such a thing?

I am thinking I am an idiot to believe him - but I am also thinking that if he is really working that hard it would be insensitive of me to be a nag.

Agree with GVOR. Sounds like a ridiculous amount of overtime. I don't know whether labour law prohibits such exploitation ( try calling Dept of Labour to check ) but any company that relied on so much overtime could be didgy and insecure. It would be worth tactfully checking up, as it is possible he is spending all that time elsewhere. It would n ot be good for someone's physical or mental health to continue working such hours indefinitely.

6
Posted by: Britty | 2008/06/13

He is either seeing someone else or trying to make extra money. Yes he is doing more that what the law allows so why don't you pitch up at his work when he is working one of those late shifts taking a treat for him. If he isn't there you will know what he is up to. Find out the truth whatever you do as it sounds like this is sending you crazy. Take care.

Reply to Britty
Posted by: Lemon | 2008/06/12

He must be earning a pretty packet from all the overtime.

Maybe you should check his payslip .(if that's possible)they normally have all the overtime hours printed on it.

Reply to Lemon
Posted by: Ova tym | 2008/06/12

A person is only allowed a certain amount of time at work before a mandatory rest period becomes applicable. A person is also only allowed to work a certain amount of hours per week. A company would need a ministrial judgement to let employees work in excess of the prescribed hours. I think you should check out the labour for the specific hours per day/per week and chat to your BF. We allowed to work 11hrs a day and 39 overtime hours a week with our judgement but then our judgement only allowes us to work like that for a specific period of time (usually a month). Something doesn't sound right with the amount of time your BF spends at work!

Reply to Ova tym
Posted by: Gentle Voice Of Reason (GVOR) | 2008/06/12

The fact that you say you think you are an idiot to believe him tells me that you have reson to be suspicious that the overtime is just an excuse for some other shenanigans he might be getting up to. If its going to put your mind at ease, make enquiries with soemone else, a family member or a colleague, say you want to surpise him for a romantic evening or a day out and you need to knw his hours. Sounds sneaky but ifyou have reason to suspect him, do this and get rid of the suspicions once and for all., because girl,you know if a man wants to get his freak on he will make up any excuse to get it on, even 1am shifts

Reply to Gentle Voice Of Reason (GVOR)
Posted by: Tans | 2008/06/12

I hope he is indeed working hard and not messing you around.Wow for someone to work that much, they must be the bionic man!

Reply to Tans
Posted by: Sun | 2008/06/12

I've worked like that (when a had to). Afetr knocking off I use to travel 150 km home... Then start at 7 again 150km from home.
No man, nor machine can continue such hard work. But at the time I just HAD to do it.
Hopefully the need for him to work like that will soon end.
The positive thing is, taht afetr a period like that, you value your time much more, and spend every free minute with people important to you!

Reply to Sun