Question
Posted by: Bobo | 2011-05-01

Working on public holiday

I have started a new job and I am shocked by the employers policies. Employees are forced to work on public holidays and are paid normal rate  if they don''t work they are given verbal warnings. The company has a 3 shift system 7-3  3 -11 11-7. Morning shift runs from monday to sunday then sunday nite night shift starts till saterday. What are the rights of employees when companies policies are in conflict with labour laws.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Working on public holiday

Anyone that works on a public holiday who earns less than R149,000-00 per year is entitled to double pay. This figure is going up to R170,000-00 in July.

If the majority of your shift falls on a Sunday then you are entitled to double pay. If the company works normally on a Sunday then it would be one and a half times the normal pay. You are always entitled to double pay on a public holiday.

2
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2011-05-31

re: Working on public holiday

Reply to Labour Lawyer
Posted by: Trev | 2011-05-04

Plenty of people work shifts,especially in essential service industries- the more industrialised a country is, the more so per capita. If the pre-determined shift schedule happens to fall on a public holiday,employees are entitled to their normal hourly rate times two.The companies policies are irrelevent, the BCEA overules, and is the absolute minimum in terms of employment rights.

I believe that if these employees were to belong to a good union,then there rights would never have been violated in the first place.

What is this companies name?, so that I can bouycot dealing with them in any way.

Reply to Trev